Early warning signs of periodontal disease
Periodontal disease is an inflammation and infection of the gum tissue that can cause irreparable damage in the mouth. A recent study by the CDC estimates that a staggering 47% of adults 30 or over have some form of the disease. You may be wondering how that could happen? The answer is that not enough people know about the early warning signs of the condition. At James M. Moran, DDS in Fallbrook, California, we educate every patient on the symptoms of periodontal disease so they can be recognized and treated before serious damage is done.
Early signs and symptoms of periodontal disease
As mentioned earlier, periodontal disease can cause long-lasting problems, including tooth and bone loss. Fortunately, when detected early, the condition is relatively easy to reverse. Here are five early signs of gum disease that you do not want to ignore.
- Gum inflammation – Also called gingivitis, gum inflammation is the first stage of periodontal disease and is easy to treat. Caused by plaque build-up, gingivitis can be treated with professional cleanings and oral rinses.
- Bleeding gums – Repeat after us – bleeding gums are never normal. If your gums bleed when you brush or floss, it’s time for a check-up.
- Chronic bad breath – When plaque accumulates on the teeth and gums, it causes the rapid reproduction of bacteria that emit a strong, foul odor.
- Gum recession – If you notice that your teeth appear elongated, it’s probably due to the gum tissue starting to pull away from the tooth.
- Periodontal pockets – As the gum continues to recede, pockets form around the teeth, providing ample space for bacteria to thrive and continue to attack.
Periodontal disease and your overall health
Uncontrolled periodontal disease is linked to several other medical conditions. The bacteria from your gums can easily enter the bloodstream and travel to other areas of the body, increasing your risk for conditions such as heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and pregnancy complications.
Schedule an evaluation today
If you are experiencing any of the early signs of periodontal disease, it’s important to come in for an exam as soon as possible. The earlier we discover the condition, the more successfully we can treat it. To book an appointment at our Fallbrook, CA office, call (760) 284-8477.
Share this Article
Back to Periodontal Disease Page